Thursday, June 7, 2012

In-The-Scope: Shmeecow

In every division, there are a few officers who set themselves apart in one way or another. In the case of Lt. Colonel Shmeecow, it's his willingness to go where TAW needs him the most and put forth the effort to get things accomplished. For this reason and others, he was selected to represent the officers of the WT division in an interview with the newsletter crew's QuinoaAOC.


Let's start with a little about your career in TAW. You've been with us for nearly four years and you've been everything from a media division STL to an HDI, to an XO. Tell us how it all started for you in TAW?
Well, it all started when I was recruited on the Quake Wars pubs for the QW division. I was recruited by a member named Ben, I believe. I then applied at the old website, and was accepted by Hook. I loaded up TS2, and joined in on the fun.

What led you to join TAW over other clans?
To be honest, I think the fact that TAW had (and still has) such a good handle on recruiting really helped, in the sense that they got to me first at the time I was looking. Once I joined up, I made a lot of friends, many of whom are still here today.

A Battlefield Conduct Medal, 2 Medals of Resilience, a Bronze Star, 2 Outstanding Volunteer Medals, and four QW tabs are just a few of the accolades you have earned in TAW. Which of your achievements makes you the most proud and why? 
Hard to say exactly, but there are two that stand out in my memories. My two Outstanding Volunteer medals, my first awarded by Hanarambi, then Division Officer of QW Divsion, for my continuous donations to them even while in Operations Support. This was when I had a job, and money was more in excess than time. It made me proud to help support my former and original division.
The second Outstanding Volunteer medal was awarded for helping WT division even after transferring back to Quake Wars after helping to spin WT up from vanguard.
Though QW was my primary division again, I was still happy to play World of Tanks, and recruit in game and help with clan wars. I suppose the importance of these two medals to me, show that regardless of our position or division, we should feel free to help out in any way we can, as we all are in TAW together.


You have ten qualification badges excluding basic training and DI, is this a result of being a jack-of-all-trades kind of player or are you just so good at Quake Wars and World of Tanks that you can hold your own in any role?
This is a result of both my skills and putting lots of time and effort into both games, as well as putting effort into proving that I have earned the badges. I am a VERY good Quake Wars player; I have been playing for almost five years now. In World of Tanks I am also a good player, though probably not to the same degree, as the games are different, and I have had less time to master and grind through the many tanks. I am also a better all round player in QW, where as in World of Tanks, there are still several tank types that I would need to master (light tanks and arty.)

You are a duel member of QW and WT, with a command office in WT and your duties in QW, how do you find the time to do it all?
Well, I joined WT division again, around the time that our servers in Quake Wars division went down, and this was right before the end of a season in Quake Wars, with my team and another just waiting for the championship match. While the servers were down, I was playing World of Tanks primarily, but still able to make Tuesday's QW practices. I was unable to make Sundays though, as WT practices were at this time.
Just last Tuesday, we were able to have the final matches, and I was able to lead my team to victory. This Sunday I will likely make my last event in QW as a division member for a while, as now that the season is finished, I plan on primarily helping WT.

You transferred to WT to help spin the division out of Vanguard and have been there ever since through the ups and downs. What is it about World of Tanks that keeps the division alive?
I would say that it is strong leadership, and the ability to keep getting recruits in the door, as it is a free to play game with a large community.

What do you think other command officers, in particular COs and DCs, could learn from the WT division that would help make their own divisions stronger?
Several things. First, there will be ups and downs, we have certainly learned that. Also, don't be afraid to be creative with your command staff positions. World of Tanks division has made use of certain positions for non-conventional roles. For instance, in the past we have used the Server Admin position as a sort of information officer, as there are no actual servers that we can run, everything is on the primary game server.

What about your life outside of TAW? What do you do apart from gaming to occupy your time?
I like to hang with friends, go to the movies, etc. I also enjoy working on computers, I have been employed to do such in the past and will be doing so in the future.

What is a fun fact about yourself you think that other members might be surprised to learn? 
I am 23 years old, about 6'3, but I am always a gentle giant and very friendly.

Any parting comments you would like to leave for your fellow WT crew or other TAW members?
Just a few words of encouragement:
Remember, always have fun, keep things civil, and recruit!  GLHF!

No comments:

Post a Comment